Shrinking Sarah

My weightloss diary!!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Balance

I keep logging my food very precisely into My Calorie Counter food journal, and no matter what I do, it seems I can't get my carb/protein/fat balance to look right. Even though my total calories are low, it appear that more of my calories come from fat and protein than they should. Not sure what to do about that. Part of it is my attempt to cut refined flour and sugar from my diet I guess. I do eat some whole grain carbs, but I guess I often add butter or cheese to it. Hmmm...

So Monday.

Breakfast:
16 oz coffee
small handful of blue tortilla chips

Lunch:
handful of ORGANIC triscuits with organic garlic and herb cheese...yummy
3/4 of a raw green pepper
iced tea

Snack:
Baked organic tortilla chips
4 tbsp salsa

Dinner:
3 oz leftover grilled salmon
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 small whole wheat dinner roll with butter
water

Workout:
20 minutes weightlifting
10 minutes running
20 minutes walking uphill (ouch...knees hurt after that one)
water water

Snack:
1/2 bag of microwave popcorn...only because I really hadn't consumed enough calories all day, but I later discovered that this particular popcorn has more fat than I thought

4 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eating the right kinds of fats can help you a great deal--it's actually very healthy. as much as 25% of your diet can be fats--and for some people more.

    so, no worries.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Alisa said…

    I think I might use the same online counter that you do. Although it is showing me that I'm a total carb junky! I need to alter that.

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    You're doing better, Sarah! Your dinner looked really good. I think you could still stand to eat more food at your other meals, though, as long as you pick the right foods.

    Try adding more protein to each meal. It can be a challenge but I find that it makes me feel fuller longer. Also, adding some high-fiber foods to each meal will increase your feeling of satiety.

    Here are some of the things I eat during a typical day:

    High fiber light English muffin, toasted, with about 1 TBSP regular (not low-fat) peanut butter

    4 oz cup 1% small-curd cottage cheese mixed with 6 oz. cup of lowfat yogurt (I like Yoplait Creamy in strawberry, royal raspberry, or blackberry). This has tons of protein (19 g) and very little fat (4.5 g).

    1/4 cup scrambled egg whites, with a small (palm-sized) piece of whole-grain baguette and 2 tsps butter. Hey, I refuse to give up my butter completely! Panera's whole grain baguette is excellent, by the way.

    1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta with 1/2 cup marinara sauce and a handful of shrimp

    Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    when eating eggs, to be able to absorb the protien in the egg white, you need the fat and nutrients of the egg yolk. they go together.

    eating egg whites gives no value, or very little, as the protien is inabsorbable without the yolk.

    Wise Traditions Magazine article from May, i think, informed me of this. Of course, i always eat the yolks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home